Monday, April 7, 2008

Are the best works of literature those that balance female and male components?

Are the best works of literature those that balance female and male components?

Thinking back on all the books I’ve read, you know the “great classics” like The Scarlet Letter or Crime and Punishment, I’m left asking myself: did these books balance female and male components?

Well then I ask: well what exactly are female and male components? Are we talking about flowery details and descriptions or moral lessons? Are we talking about subtle tactics or more blunt and direct?

I don’t think great works of literature are a balance of female and male components. I think it is rather that both sexes can get something out of the book. The book could be predominately male (whatever THAT means) and yet a woman still could get some satisfaction from reading the book. I don’t think a great book needs to have 50/50 gender wise with each page. If it is a good work of literature- based solely on words, on language, on story, on plot, and on meaning- then that is ALL that matters. That is what constitutes a great work of art, not the male of female components or the balance of each in a book.

No comments: